Greg Chappell comments on India's attitude and cluture - India under 19 winning the cup

As part of my pending works I am publishing this post a bit late. But still felt some context came into existence i.e IndiaU19 winning the cup

I started writing this blog after reading this article on CricBuzz. My knowledge on his comments is limited as I have only read this article and not read his writings directly. However for me this is just an opportunity to talk on some things about my India.

First question normally arises who is he to comment on India and India's culture ? What kind of rights does he have to comment ? I believe he has sufficient rights to comment on these things because of following reasons:
  • We (BCCI and India) gave him the job of Indian National Cricket team coach (Cricket is considered to be a religion in India and it became a culture in India) after seeing his presentation skills and and many other aspects while selecting as a coach. He got selected in spite of more than 120 crore of Indians living on earth.
  • Greg Chappell who comes from Australia which was under British rule similar to India for decades. And for which reason Australia and India are part of so called Commonwealth nations.
So I believe these reasons were enough to give his views but to what extent he can give in future one has to debate on it. However the present views are in boundary I believe. Here I am not saying if they are correct or wrong because these are just his views. 

I feel to all his comments the answer of IndiaU19 winning the cup against Australia in their own den is the fitting answer. 

Now how do people take the answer is different thing. Few of which I want to put them here: 


  • If one things this as the revenge against Greg Chappell be it, as it is not that bad because he commented that Indians adopted head down attitude because of their culture. It could be true but even that head down attitude would give results. Indians do respect their elders more than any others in the world.
  • If one takes his comment positive then he being the coach of Indian National cricket he want it to win and so he must be proud of India's under 19 team win. Where he can see how this culture can bring results in future as well.
  • He felt that Indian cricket has worn Dhoni also, now he might be happy as new captains are coming with similar and greater enthusiasm. As his nation was defeated by his Team. 
But for India there is lot to learn however as Australia irrespective any of the issues (could be issues such as Sehwag's captaincy ambition) they remained on Top over almost 15 years which is great character shown by them. Now India Cricket Management (I do not want to just say BCCI, but every body who are followers of Indian Cricket) should try to aim for such a character. I am sure Indian Youth do that in future.

Comments